Hairfall, done blood test, high ATG level. What can cause such a high level of antibodies?

I am a 26 year old woman. Over the last couple of months I experienced moderately high amounts of hairfall which prompted me to see a specialist about a week ago. I was asked to take some blood tests - hb, serum ferritin and vitamin d3. The results are as follows -
Hb - 11.7 gm% (reference 12.5-17.0 gm%)
Ferritin - 6.8 ng/mL (reference 10.00-120.00 ng/mL)
Vitamin D3 (25 Hydroxy Cholecalciferol) 5.15 ng/mL (Reference : 30-100 ng/mL)
The doctor diagnosed me with vitamin d and iron deficiency and thought that it may have attributed to hairfall. I was asked to take calcirol (1 satchet/week for 12 weeks). I have also been put on fefol and celin for 3 months (1 tab each day). I was also asked to get my thyroid levels checked.
Results for which are as follows
T3 - 88.8ng/dL (Biological ref: 70.00 -204) (Serum, CLIA)
2. T4- 6.4 micro g/dL (3.20-12.6) (Serum, CLIA)
3. TSH - 2.682mIU/mL (0.400-4.200) (Serum, CLIA)
4. Free T3 - 3.15 pg/mL (1.4-4.4) (Serum, CLIA)
5. Free T4 - 0.89 ng/dL (0.8-2.7) (Serum)
6. Autoimmunity tests -
6.1 Microsomal (TPO)Antibody titre 2.73 (upto 5.61 IU/mL) (Serum, CMIA)
6.2 Thyroglobulin Antibody (ATG) 130.64 (upto 4.11 IU/mL) (Serum, CMIA)

The ATG levels seem rather high. I am yet to hear from my physician and in the mean while would appreciate your suggestions. What can cause such a high level of antibodies? and what are the treatment options? Is this condition serious? What should be my next action regarding this?

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 16 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

I have seen your reports. Your doctor has made the right conclusion. You do have iron deficiency and vitamin D deficiency. The treatment suggested is also appropriate- except that the vitamin D sachets are usually given for 8 weeks followed by, fortnightly once doses of the same XXXXXXX for maintenance. Your thyroid function is normal (if you are non-pregnant or not planning pregnancy) and you don’t need any thyroid supplementation at this stage.

The only concern that you have seem to be regarding a positive anti TG antibody. Anti Tg /anti TPO positivity indicates that there is thyroid autoimmunity- that is the white cells that are supposed to protect you are damaging the thyroid gland. However, it is nothing to worry, about- approximately 12% of people in the general population have this problem. It may mean that in the future you may develop hypothyroidism. I usually suggest annual TSH evaluation in such cases.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that you need to go on thyroid hormone supplementation if your TSH is above 2.5 when you are planning pregnancy. If your TSH is below this level then you need not take medication but must get a monthly TSH test done during pregnancy.

If you have any clarifications, you can write back to me
Anantharaman R