Hair thinning, pigmented skin, PCOS, done TSH and prolactin level test, feeling low, have suicidal thoughts. Analyze my condition?

Question
I am a 21 year old girl who is suffering from severe hair thinning so much so that the scalp is visible from a number of angles. I have extensive dark pigmented skin in several parts of my body. I am suffering from PCOS. I recently got my TSH levels and Prolactin levels tested on the advice of a Dermatologist and found that my TSH is 6.5 and Prolactin 56. The Dermatologist has adviced me to visit an Endocrinologist. I am seeking an appointment with one shortly.
I feel extremely low and sometimes harbour suicidal thoughts. Please analyse my condition and advice me before it is too late.
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
You forgot to mention your height and weight and whether you are on any medicines for PCOS. I also need to know if you are on any other drugs. What about your weight - have you lost or gained weight in recent past.
Your prolactin levels are elevated. This is called hyperprolactinemia. This can be due to many reasons- drugs, PCOS, hypothyroidism, Oral contraceptives, pituitary adenoma. In your case hypothyroidism , PCOS and posssibly drugs can be responsible. But neither the thyroid nor the PCOS and hyperprolactinemia can themselves cause suicidal thoughts- you need to see a psychiatrist at the earliest.
After that, you also need to see a good endocrinolgist for detailed evaluation.
Extensive skin pigmentation can be due to acanthosis which is seen commonly in PCOS. But without examination I cannot comment with conviction.
Having said all this your hormonal problem is not very serious. With proper treatment most of your symptoms can be resolved. That should encourage you to stop worrying too much and start thinking positively. I can't fathom as to what is driving your emotions so badly. You need to relax and think positively.
Hope to hear from you again.