Hair loss,oily scalp,no regrowth of hair.Medicine?

I am 28 yrs old female suffering from huge hair loss and I never got regrowth of hair from the place where I lost my hair since 5-6 yrs, but the length of my hair is good, whenever I cut my hair, It grows well. I lost almost my hair. My scalp is so oily and for this reason I have to do head bath daily with shampoo. Is my oilyness of the scalp is preventing hair from regrowth. I do not have any family history of hair problems. Please suggest me how to deal with this problem.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum.

Thanks for the Query.

I Would like to few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have any kind of stress?
2.) Have you gained or lost weight recently?

Your History suggests you have Alopecia Areata. There are various causes to it, like:

1.) Genetic and Environmental factors
2.) Stress
3.) Poor Nutrition
4.) Medications
5.) Hormonal changes

You are significantly complaining about damaged follicles or dead follicles. We need to understand the reason for it. Kindly get yourself examined by a Specialist Trichologist to rule out the exact cause.

Washing your Hair with any shampoo can be one of the risk factors for hair loss. Using Ph Balanced shampoo is important ( For Oily Hair). Your Doctor will examine you and Order few tests like,

1.) Pull Test
2.) Skin scrapings examination to rule out if you have Infection
3.) Punch Biopsy
4.) Screening tests to rule out any related diseases.

Once the cause is found out, the treatment will depend upon the cause.

The treatment options currently are Topical medicines, Hormonal Drugs (men) or steroids. Your treating Doctor (Specialist Trichologist) will know better. Unfortunately the extensive research and technology was not able to derive tangible results yet. There are newer therapies like LASER, Hair Follicle Unit Transplantation Etc. The treatments are tailor made and right one can be given only after knowing what is happening. If it is completely follicular problem, stem cell therapy is a recent development. You should hope for a better research and promising cure in future.

However the Following general lifestyle modifications are valid:

1.) Avoid stress, Practice relaxation techniques like Yoga and Meditation'
2.) Eat Protein XXXXXXX foods like eggs, chicken, fish, milk, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and Fresh fruits.
3.) Exercise regularly and Maintain a Healthy weight.
4.) You can also consider wearing wigs and Hair pieces.
5) You can take Tab BIOTIN FORTE 10mg, twice a day. There are other micro minerals which are associated with reducing hair fall.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.