Hair loss, sun burn, rashes, cold hands, fingers and palms purple coloration, joint, ankle pain

hello just have a question to ask, this symptom been getting couple month: hair loss that come & go, sun bother, rashes, my hand mostly get cold especially the right one, it finger,palm sometimes it get purple color, my joint be pain, my ankle get sore
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 2 hours later
Hi ,

After studying your symptoms of hair loss, sensitivity to sunlight, patchy skin color, fingers that change color when cold, joint pain in a female gender indicates the possibility of Systemic lupus erythematosus(SLE).

Its diagnosed only after physical examination and the investigations.

SLE (lupus) is an autoimmune disease. This means there is a problem with the body's normal immune system response.So the immune system misperception of body own tissue as foreign and try to destroy it. This result is an overactive immune response that attacks otherwise healthy cells and tissue. This leads to long-term (chronic) inflammation.

It is also associated with Fever, headache,a "butterfly" rash over the cheeks and bridge of the nose,Swollen lymph nodes,Vision problems, abnormal heart beats, chest pain during XXXXXXX breath.

As i mentioned earlier a detailed clinical examination is done to identify the system involvement and the complications. Clinical examination is supported by the few relevant lab test to assess the disease process.
1.CBC to show low white blood cells, hemoglobin, or platelets.high ESR .
2.Antibody tests which includes XXXXXXX (ds)DNA, antismith antibodies, antiphosholipids.
3.chest x-ray , renal biopsy to show the involvement of respiratory system and renal system in disease process.

Treatment is indiviualized according to the disease process and associated complications.
1. NSAIDS( non steroidal antiinflammatory drugs)
3.Adjuvant therapy like Sunscream,protective clothing, sunglasses.

The outcome for people with SLE has improved in recent years. Many people with SLE have mild illness are given proper care and treatment can decrease the Emotional and psychological stress associated with disease.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.