Hair loss, patch on the scalp. Any medication?

My niece has hair problem . She has developed a patch where hair loss is substantial. What may be reason for hair loss in that area. Is there any medication to get back the hair in lost patch. Also she loses hair otherwise. How to prevent hair loss? Her age is 32. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later

A patch of substantial hair loss--this is alopecia areata.

This type of hair loss is reversible.

The cause is autoimmunity. It means that body's own cells are reacting against the hair roots and leading to a bald patch.

Treatment is possible. The best treatment for a localised patch is an intralesional injection of triamnicolone. This is a clinic based treatment and done only by a dermatologist.

In addition application of minoxidil 5% lotion leads to more rapid hair regrowth.

Usually 3-4 injections are required.

If injections are not acceptable to you, then she may use fluticasone cream twice daily along with minoxidil. This also brings the hair back, but takes a longer time.

I hope I have answered your query. Should you have any further queries, please feel free to ask me.