Hair loss increased. What is causing this? How can I prevent it?

Recently i have been noticing sudden increase of hair loss. Specially since i have shifted to a new home, and all i see on the floor all the time is my hair strands. I am really worried about this. My father is not bald so i don't know if this is happening because of water or something. I was not applying hair oil on regular basis for quite some time and also i don't use hair shampoo very regularly, but just once in a while. Since it makes my hair even softer and it looks bad.

Please suggest me what can i do about this. I agree that i have been careless towards this but now i just want to know is this normal or symptoms of any disease or something. Finally, what can i do about this and how can i prevent it??

Many thanks in advance!!
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 27 minutes later

I advice you not to panic, as usually we shed an average of 50-100 hairs per day. Under normal conditions new hairs grow to replace each hair that has been shed, keeping the average number of growing hairs about the same at all times.

Sudden increase in the hair loss might be due to change in the water that you are using as mentioned by you. It will be normalized within week or so.

Another entity known as Telogen effluvium may also present with the same symptom. Telogen effluvium may be caused by fever, chronic illness, severe emotional disorders, stress, and crash diets. As stress may be responsible, I advise you to be less anxious about the hair loss.

In any case if the symptoms persist, you can try 2% mintop solution, available as over the counter medication for local application. To see effect you have to use it at least for period of 45 days.

Even Trichup hair fall control oil and shampoo are beneficial. I advise you to use the oil regularly and shampoo once in two days.

Try the above mentioned measures your symptoms will reduce.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Hair loss increased. What is causing this? How can I prevent it? 36 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your reply.

Just a couple of follow up questions.
1) I had Chicken pox almost 2 months back.
2) I take lot of stress i believe and i have been smoking regularly for quite sometime.

Can these two attribute towards increase in hair fall? I am sure the 2nd point does attribute but i can't control stress but will quiting smoking will help?

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later

Good to hear from you.

Both the factors might be responsible; as mentioned above Telogen effluvium can occur after infection and stress. But as the time passes hair fall will eventually reduce.

I advise you to follow the conservative measures as mentioned above and also have check on anxiety and stress level that will help. Quitting smoking will be beneficial in more than one way as most of us know.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.