Hair loss due to Seborrheic dermatitis. History of Eczema. How to get the hair growth back?

Question
I am a 22 year old male, university student. I have suffered from eczema from about 13 years and on. I have recently been diagnosed with what is considered to be Seborrheic Dermatitis, this has affected me for approximately 5 months. The worst part about this is the hair loss associated with it, especially for someone with a full head of hair only 5 months ago. I began smoking marijuana approximately 9 month ago to deal with stress at school. However, I have a sneaking suspicion I may actually have an allergy to marijuana itself. Basically I have two questions: 1) Will hair growth come back once the scalp issue is dealt with?? 2) If I am actually allergic to THC would this affect not only the dermatitis but also the follicle of the hair? (as I am sure smoking an allergen would do some sort of damage to the body?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

In medical literature, it has been shown that there is some association between Marijuana Use and Seborrhoeic Dermatitis. However, this association is not strong and conclusively proven.

Coming to your questions:
2. If I am actually allergic to THC would this affect not only the dermatitis but also the follicle of the hair?
Well most of the times, the allergy is limited to skin over the scalp. In severe cases, the hair follicles are damager permanently such that scarring alopecia can occur. There in majority cases, there is no permanent damage to the follicles and thats a good news.

1. Will hair growth come back once the scalp issue is dealt with?
As discussed above, in mild to moderate cases, the hair follicles are intact. There upon treatment of the Seborrhoeic Dermatitis, the hairs grow back as before.

There I recommend that you stop all kinds of drug use.
Use an antifungal shampoo and medication.

Your physician might help you in procuring one.

Hope this answers this query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran