Hair loss, c-section

hello doctor i m 31 year old female. I had c-section on November 2010. that time my hair was ok, but last 3 months, i am suffering from severe hair loss mostly from the frontal area and its lossing from the tip of the root. so plz suggest me
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 51 minutes later

First important reason for apparent hair loss is lactation. Since you have just delivered the child 6 months back could be lactating mother, you tend to lose hair more than expected.

Generally during pregnancy, usual hair loss per day ( 80 to 100 hair) is preserved. This is compensated during lactation i.e more hair is lost during pregnancy. So do not worry. It settles over time. Some medications can also cause increased hair fall.

Some suggestions for you:
1. After washing the hair with cold water rub the scalp with fingers as it increases blood circulation and promotes hair growth.
2. Apply lavender oil 3 times a week during night on the scalp and wash off next day.It promotes hair regeneration.
3. Apply egg yolk mixed with oil on the scalp and wash off after half an hour.Do it twice a week.
3. Take mixture of lettuce and spinach juice about half a litre daily.
4. Take multivitamin tablet "Z and B" daily once for 3 months.
5. Have healthy nutritious diet comprising of proteins, Vitamin A, zinc, copper.

In the meantime also get some investigations done to rule out the cause of hair loss due to other reasons after delivery:
1. Iron studies.
2. Thyroid Analysis including complete hormonal profile.
3. Trichoscopy in which the hair and scalp structures are visualized.

There are many medications available these days for hair loss as antiandrogens and minoxidil but they are given on prescription after exact cause is ruled out.

Consider visiting a Dermatologist/Trichologist for examination of the scalp and investigations which I have suggested. Dr. XXXXXXX Shamsher is leading one in Bangalore.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.