Hair in the chin, hair loss. Is it a hormonal problem?

Question
I think i have hormonal imbalance as I have few strands of slighly thick hair in my chin and I also have a hair loss problem. Can you tell me if there is ay tests to confirm if I have a hormonal imbalance? Thanks
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 23 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

In order for me to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. What is your height and weight?
b. Are your periods regular?

The following baseline investigations would be needed:
•     Serum luteinizing hormone (LH level) and Serum follicle stimulating hormone (S. FSH)
•     Prolactin levels
•     Fasting Insulin
•     Fasting blood sugar (FBS)
•     Serum Thyroxine (T4), Serum thyroid stimulating hormone levels (TSH levels)
•     Total testosterone levels
•     Serum 17 hydroxy progesterone
•     Dehydro epiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) levels

These investigations are preferably done on 2nd or 3rd day of menstrual cycle in empty stomach. An ultrasound of pelvic organs to rule out polycystic ovaries is also indicated.

If your problem is related to hormonal imbalance, then these investigations will make it clear.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Hair in the chin, hair loss. Is it a hormonal problem? 2 days later
I'm 5feet 4 inches and weight is 70kgs, my period cycle varies from 28 to 35 days. I've done my thyroid, blood sugar and prolactin level tests all are normal. Would u suggest going through the other tests to confirm if I have a hormonal imbalance.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Yes, you can go through these tests once. We will come to know whether the hair growth is due to hormonal imbalance.
Hope this helps.