Hair falling at rapid pace, thin texture of hair. Can you help me?

Hi Dr. Batra,

My name is XXXXXXX and I am living in Australia. The reason I am writing to you is that my hair are falling off at a very rapid pace plus the texture of my hair is really thin. I am 26 years old, I had hair loss problem from before but it has drastically increased. Are you able to help me with this?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 17 hours later

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Hair fall in mid 20's can be signs of developing androgenic alopecia which is also known as male pattern baldness.

Topical solutions containing minoxidil and biotin supplements are required to contain the fall. Drugs like finestride in low dose can also be prescribed but only after discussing the side effect profile with the treating doctor. It is also important to use them for few months as the benefits start after two to three months. In addition since dieting, illness and stress can also lead to hair fall nutritional supplements, destressing measures and adequate sleep can also arrest hair fall. Choose food XXXXXXX in Zinc, Selenium, Manganese example roots, XXXXXXX leaves and dark colored food.

I understand you are concerned. I would request you to first visit a dermatologist in person to ascertain the cause and type of hair fall before starting any treatment. I would be able to provide you with more information regarding treatment once the cause is ascertained.

Hope you find this answer useful. Let me know if you need more information.

Dr.Rohit Batra