Hair fall, hair transplant done. How many strands on hair are present in one hair follicle?

Dermatologist
Question
usually how many hairs are there in one hair follice ? does a hair follice have just one strand of hair normally, or multiple strands of hair ?
i have done a hair transplant recently and the understanding was that they have to do a session with 3500 hair. once the transplant was thru they told me that they have transplanted 1500 follices, i wanted to confirm that 3500 hairs would come to approximate 1500 follices or not /
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 44 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting the query,

One follicular unit may contain 1-3 hairs.

When you look closely on anybody's occipital region (back of scalp) from where the grafts are taken out, you would see 2 or 3 hairs are coming out from one opening. But this is not for all the follicles, as some may have 1 hair only from each follicle.

This way you can averagely calculate as to how many hairs were implanted to you.

There is always a misunderstanding between the patient and the doctor as to how many grafts of hairs are being placed. It is a very fine and complex surgery which I am also performing since the last 12 years. These things should be clarified beforehand.

Hope I've answered your query. Should you have additional concern regarding the same, I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda
XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Hair fall, hair transplant done. How many strands on hair are present in one hair follicle? 1 hour later
thanks for the same doctor, on the same pt, i usually get boils on my head, some times they are puss filled and some times they are just red. usually more of them appear when summer is on, or when i am stressed or even when i do not excercise regularly, the sizes of the same are not very large.

could you be able to help me with the same, and what should i doing ref this, thanks

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back,

Based on description you have provided, I feel Folliculitis is what you are getting on scalp. It is nothing but infection of hair follicles.

You should regularly clean your scalp. Use a good medicated anti dandruff shampoo like Tritop shampoo twice a week.

If this doesn't help much, then you can use a steroid lotion on scalp, under cover of a oral antibiotic. There are other options too if condition is very severe, like oral Retinoids. But you should get it prescribed from a dermatologist only.

The whole idea is to keep the scalp clean and take away excess oil from the scalp.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.