Hair fall for a 8 year old, having stiffness in legs, sweats heavily, sleeps harder. What is the reason ?

my son is 8 years old, recently my sons hair began to fall a matter of 3 weeks he was almost completely bald. i took him to the doctor they suggested alapresha (sry for spelling)... Now for four days ive noticed him walk,the stop suddenly with his legs straight and he will bend over to stretch.. I asked him why is doing it... he said mom my legs just start to hurt like they are stiff..... hes a straight a student, very smart, very fit, but more resently he sleeps harder, he sweats outragously and im alil scared... what should i do
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Hair loss, or alopecia, isn't just a problem for adults. Hair loss in children is responsible for an estimated 3% of pediatric office visits in the U.S. 

For the majority of children suffering hair loss, one of the following conditions is the cause.

1.Tinea capitis. Tinea capitis, commonly known as ringworm of the scalp, is a fungal infection often seen in children. It can show up in a number of ways, but often as scaly patches of hair loss on the head. 

2.Alopecia areata. Alopecia areata is a non-contagious condition of hair loss thought to be caused by the body's immune system attacking the hair follicles. It is characterized by the sudden appearance of round or oval patches of hair loss. 

3.Telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium is a condition in which a sudden or severe stress -- such as extremely high fever, surgery under general anesthesia, the death of a loved one, a severe injury, or the use of certain prescription medications -- interrupts the normal cycle of hair growth. The hair follicles stop growing prematurely and enter a resting phase (called the telogen phase). Between six and 16 weeks later, hair sheds excessively, leading to partial or complete baldness.

There are no conclusive tests to diagnose telogen effluvium; there is also no treatment for it. However, once the stressful event is over, full hair growth usually returns within six months to a year.

4.Nutritional deficiency. Though less common, hair loss can be a symptom of deficiencies in certain nutrients, including:

Vitamin H, or biotin, one of the B complex vitamins

5. Endocrine problems. In some children the cause of hair loss is hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid is underactive and is producing an insufficient amount of thyroid hormones required for regulating metabolism.

A diagnosis of hypothyroidism is made by a blood test, and possibly a scan of the thyroid gland.
You must consult a pediatrician or a pediatric dermatologist and get a thorough check up and investigations done for the proper diagnosis.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.