Hair does not grow, taking biotin and folic acid. Okay to take supplements?

Hello I am a 23 year old female. I have always had a problem with hair growth, my hair just barley grows at all. I may be lucky to have 2 iches of growth a year. I would like to start taking 5000mcg of biotin and 400mcg of folic acid daily. I recently changed my diet to mainly fruits, veggies and nuts. I want to make sure it is ok for me to take these supplements along with my new healthy life style. I dont want to be getting to much vitamins so I wanted to check with a docter before taking these supplements together.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 24 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query!

It is a good idea to take the supplements in diet that are purportedly helpful in hair growth.

Fruits and vegetables are wholesome and also good sources of all vitamins.

The vitamins you have chosen are harmless as such and if you have extra amount in diet then that would get excreted in urine because they are small molecules and soluble in water.

What I can additionally suggest you is to add Pantothenic acid supplement and at least 60-80gram/day of protein intake because hair are made of proteins.

I hope this information would be both informative and helpful for you.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.