Haemoglobin A1C is 5.9. Does it indicate any abnormality?

What does it mean when my hemoglobin A1c is considered high at 5.9?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pre Diabetic. Lifestyle modification, Diet control Detailed Answer: Hello, welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are not a Diabetic Patient but you are Prediabetic. A Hemoglobin A1C result between 5.7 and 6.4 percent is considered prediabetes, which indicates a high risk of developing diabetes. HbA1c measures the blood glucose level control for last 3 months. Thus your HbA1c level is in good control. But you are at risk of diabetes. Thus please follow my advise 1. Do exercise regularly, atleast for 45 minutes per day for atleast five days a week. 2. Take plenty of green vegetables and fruits 3. Do not skip breakfast at any cost. 4. Continue practicing yoga and meditation. Please consider the following investigations to find out the cause for low sodium and chloride. Repeat serum electrolytes after a week Do kidney function tests Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis Thyroid hormones level. Then review with your treating Primary care physician. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Manjeth XXXXXXX G