Had x-rays for joints where pain was felt. Found bony spur. Suggest best treatment for bony spur?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
My mom took x-rays for her joints where she felt pains and found each of them has bony spur. She has had the pain for several months, especially at night. What is the best treatment for bony spur? Or is there any way to comfort the pains other than pain killers?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 24 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Bony spurs may be the cause of your mother's pain. However, not all bony spurs will cause pain. If she is having pain in a few of her joints then she may have arthritis in these joints.
If the bony spurs are the cause of the problem, they can be removed at operation.
I would recommend you consult an orthopedic surgeon for assessment of her joint pain and the options for definitive treatment.
In the meantime, warm or cold compresses on the affected joints may help ease the pain. Also, gentle exercise to keep the joints mobile and avoid them becoming stiff.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger