Had wrist surgery for torn ligaments and tendons. Fingers and hand feel numb. Normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had wrist surgery 8 weeks ago. 2torn ligaments and one torn tendon. Surgeon could not attach one ligament due to soft bone he said. Top of my hand and fingers are still numb.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The numbness in the hand and fingers is suggestive of a nerve injury in the area. During the ligament and tendon injury, the nerve injury might have been there. It is not likely to be related to the surgery you had. If there is no loss of muscle power then sensory recovery might happen with time. You can take methylcobalamin supplements to hasten the recovery after consulting your orthopedician.
You need to start with proper physiotherapy for full range of movement under the guidance of a physical therapist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Had wrist surgery for torn ligaments and tendons. Fingers and hand feel numb. Normal? 14 hours later
ok...let me give you more info....i fell of bicycle mid Nov. I went to a PA and he said firstwear brace 3 weeks, then cortisone shot hich did nothing...all during this time my hand was no numb, just wrist swollen. he said it was dequervain syndrome anf that was it. Oh yes, 3 weeks physical therapy....nothing. FINALLY I gotto anactual hand surgeon who did MRI and found all the damage. I had surgery May 12. My hand wasnt numb til after surgery. Also what about that ligament he ould not attach? It is in middle of hand...what will happen if that ligament is not fixed?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The ligament that has left unattached can cause a restriction of movement of the fingers but is not likely to cause the numbness.
The numbness could be due to a local swelling compressing the nerve fibers. Local steroid injection may be of help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Had wrist surgery for torn ligaments and tendons. Fingers and hand feel numb. Normal? 5 hours later
ok...but what about unattached ligament in future? What if it isnot fixed? Will it cause me pain in the future? Or what do I need to do about it?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The unattached ligament may heal on its own or may remain like that until it is surgically corrected. It is not likely to cause any pain unless it is inflamed.
Regards.