Ask a Dentist   »  

Had wisdom tooth pulled. Bleeding for a while. Swallowing blood and noticed dark stool. Is this normal?

Hi two days ago I had a wisdom tooth pulled, it bleed quite a bit for the first 24 hours. I have had some dark stools since then. I swallowed most of the blood because I was told not to spit. Is this normal
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 31 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
If you have ingested blood it can make you stool dark, but afterwards its color should return to normal.
you need to get a gauze pad, which you were probably given some spares or a clean handkerchief or similar will also do the job, fold it into a pad, bite down on the bleeding area using the pad - to create pressure over the bleeding area, this should help to stop the bleeding whilst your body also will help clotting and stop bleeding.
If the bleeding is still present i advice you to see dentist. I also advice you to observe the stool for 2 to 3 days and if the color is still dark or if you have pain abdomen i advice you to see physician for thorough examination.
I think it is due to ingestion of the blood and nothing serious.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.