Ask a Dentist   »  

Had wisdom tooth extracted, have painful sores on the side. Have been taking acidophalis. Any home remedy?

I had a wisdom tooth extracted 3 weeks ago and now I have painful sores on the side of my tongue where the tooth was pulled. I have been taking acidophalis and using a salt water rinse thinking it may be thrush. It seems to get better and now it has flared up again. Very painful. Is there any other home remedy I can use unil I can get to the doctor on Monday?
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 39 minutes later
Hello there,

Welcome to the forum,

According to your clinical symptoms i suspect that you might have developed a sore on the tongue due to trauma at the time of surgery, or there could be a presence of sharp tooth which is causing irritation. I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the thorough checkup done.

As you cannot see the Dentist right now i would suggest you,
i) Apply any antiseptic &anesthetic oral ointment like Hexigel, DOLOGEL or
MUCOPAIN over the affected area for providing numbing effects, helps in faster
healing and relieves pain.
ii) Use antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine mouthwash rinses to give soothing
iii) Start with the course of antioxidants two times daily and analgesics to relieve
iv) Maintain a good oral hygiene, drink lots of water and keep yourself hydrated
avoid alcohol, carbonated drinks, hot spicy foods, and smoking as it may worsen
the condition.

Hope you find this answer as helpful!
Wishing you good health!

Take Care!
Dr Qazi.