Ask a Dentist   »  

Had wisdom teeth pulled, have pain, swelling and unable to talk. Suggestion?

What is this rock hard spot in my jaw? I just had my wisdom teeth pulled 5 days ago. I am maxed out on pain meds and its EXTREMELY PAINFUL. Pain scale is at a 9. Will start my antibiotics tomorrow
Hard to talk, and there is swelling present
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 11 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Hard swelling,difficulty in talking due to swelling and severe pain, are the symptoms indicative of infection.

It could be a case of dry socket also.Dry socket occurs 3to 5 days post extraction.This happens in most of cases of traumatic third molar extraction,mainly due to clot dis lodgement.

Therefore i would suggest you to visit your dentist for post extraction follow up.Also, it should be differentiated clinically from normal infection.

you can continue with your antibiotics and analgesics for three more days until you visit your dentist.

Infection will go down with this.Gentle warm saline rinse is also very effective along with medication.

Remember,upon clinical evaluation, if it happens to be a case of dry socket ,then it has got different treatment modality.

A medicated dressing is suitably placed in the healing socket.This reduces the pain to large extent.

Hope this helps you.

please let me know for further query.