Had white spots on tongue. Taken diflucan which caused sore tongue. What to do?

have had white spots on tongue cottage cheese like, taken round of diflucan prescribed by my dr over the phone. Now have sore on top side of tongue Cause? what do I do? slight soar throat and feel like fluid in my ear on the same side
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It looks like you have been treated for oral candidiasis, which is fungal infection of the mouth. Slight sore throat and sore tongue is expected even after treatment up to 6 weeks. As the inner ear drains in to the throat through an eustachian tube there could be some amount of block in the tube causing dullness of that ear. Here are my suggestions to you 1. Do not use a sharp tongue cleaner until you are better 2. Rinse your mouth and gargle three times daily with warm salt water for one week 3. Anti inflammatory drugs like levocetrizine can be taken once in the night for the sore throat and tongue. 4. Avoid spicy food and very hot beverages until you are better I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Follow-up: Had white spots on tongue. Taken diflucan which caused sore tongue. What to do? 11 minutes later
Thank you. Seems to be more stagnant at back of tongue having recessed from so heavy all over I'm trying to quit smoking so guess this is a good time Anything to put on the canker sore? Yogurt help? Mouthwash or oragel mouth rinse?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fungal infections take time Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the quick reply 1.Fungal infections take time to heal, I usually treat my patients for a minimum of 7 days and up to 3 weeks if the infection is persisting. 2. It is always a good time to quit smoking 3. You can apply Metrogyl DG gel on the canker sore. It will help heal faster and also bring down the pain 4. Yoghurt is of no help however it has very good nutrition value so no harm if you take it. Make sure it is not too cold while having it 5. Oranjel is a mouth wash. You can use the one you are comfortable with. Regards