Had whiplash injury. Temporary relief from neck pain after nerve block shots in neck. Is this normal?

Nov 2013

Hi I had a whiplash injury four months ago. Seeing a chiropractor .Have had some improvement. Three weeks ago I carried a twenty five pound bag. After a couple of steps got a severe pain in my neck and an immiedite migrain. I lifted the bag not from the ground but about waist high. Went to a pain managment Doctor and he gave me steroid and nerve block shots in my neck. Day three after shots i felt great. evening of day four i was sitting reading with head slightly bent down. Severe pain in neck,migrain and have pain in neck shoulders upper and lower back. Also right hand is tingling and almost fully numb. Seems shots worked great for almost two days but now have more pain and new symptoms. I am going to see the Doctor tomorrow. Is this normal? Thank You
I have also have had xrays and a MRI
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 45 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your symptoms are suggestive of cervical radiculopathy. In this condition, there is a compression of the cervical nerve, arising from the neck region. These nerves go to the arms and are responsible for sensations and muscle strength of the arms.

The most likely reason for the cervical nerve compression could be a disc bulge.

It seems to be a minor problem in your case, so, there is no need to worry.

As of now, you would benefit from medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin capsules.

Physical therapy would also be useful.

After you see a doctor, and based on clinical examination, your doctor may order for another MRI of the cervical spine.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist