Had weight gain, sore body, heavy periods and mood swings. Thyroid test normal, family history of Thyroid. Suggest?

I have had a large weight gain in the last 6 months, very tired ,very sore body, very heavy periods then no periods at all ,foggy brain, mood swings and a lot of other minor things as well. I have a family history of thyroid problems but my thyroid tests come back close to normal. Could there be something else?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later

It does happen at times that thyroid tests come close to normal even though you seem symptomatic. I will suggest you to repeat the thyroid profile as TSH (Serum Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), Free T4, and TPO (Thyroid peroxidase antibody test). That will give us the more accurate results.

As far as being over tired, sore body and irregular periods are concerned may be you must check your Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Iron profile, Serum Calcium and Total proteins, Ultrasound of the pelvis, as well. These are other common factors giving rise to similar picture as you have reported. Besides weight gain can be a major lifestyle issue as well. keep a record of your daily food intake, calorie intake, and your daily exercise plan. Plan that you burn more calories than what you are consume. That is the only proved way to lose weight.

Once you have all the reports, you can see the local GP or treating doctor. I am sure you will get answer to most of your problems.

regards, Wishing you good health!