Had weight gain and Sexual dysfunction when on Zoloft. Thinking to switch from Zoloft to celexa. Suggest?

Question
I am in the process of switching from Zoloft to Celexa. While on Zoloft I had issues with weight gain and Sexual dysfunction. When I lowered my dosage of Zoloft from 150 MG to 50 MG all of the side effects went away. Is this normal and does Celexa generally have less side effects than Zoloft?
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Zoloft and celexa are in the SSRI familly of anti depressants. This family of drugs is associated with possible sexual dysfunction as a side effect.

In general , this side effects and any other possible side effects such as weight, are dose related.
This means that the risk of these effects increases as the dose increases, this is the reason the effects decreased as the dose of zoloft decreased.

There have been medical studies that have attempted to compare the members of this family of drug to see the risk of each side effect with the particular drug.

The possible risk of sexual issues is approximately the same for these drugs though celexa seems to be better tolerated. The range of sexual side effects from this family of drugs is 30% to 40%.
Every one reacts differently to medication however and you may not experience the same response with a different drug.

This particular side effect can be treated in different possible ways: (1) decreasing the dose of the medication
(2) changing to a different anti depressant in the same family as you are doing (3) changing to an antidepressant in a different family that is associated with a decrease chance of this complication such as bupropion

In terms of the weight gain, this family of drugs can affect weight. Some are associated with weight loss others with gain.
Celexa is less likely to cause weight gain according to medical studies.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Had weight gain and Sexual dysfunction when on Zoloft. Thinking to switch from Zoloft to celexa. Suggest? 8 hours later
Thank you for the reply. Just a follow up Celexa. I had originally discussed generic Lexapro as an option for the switch. Instead my doctor game generic Celexa when I called him and asked whether he intended to do that or whether it was a pharmacy mix up he said they are the same drug.

From some of my research I know that Lexapro is the left hand side of Celexa but I understood that Lexapro has left side effects than Celexa but he told me that is not the case. Basically he told me the effectiveness and side effects would be no diffrent. Is that really the case?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Lexapro is the trade name for escitalopram and celexa is the trade name from citalopram.
Both are SSRI medications but are different drugs.Lexapro is a updated version of celexa and is said to be more potent.

Please feel to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Had weight gain and Sexual dysfunction when on Zoloft. Thinking to switch from Zoloft to celexa. Suggest? 39 minutes later
Thank you for the response. I guess my question is, is there really no difference aside from Lexapro being more potent?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Hi

The side effect profile is similar. They are associated basically the same possible side effects.
Lexapro can also potentially cause sexual side effects and can also affect weight. Most persons find that it causes weight loss though some persons may experience weight gain.

The risk of these effects is essentially the same with these medications.But it is important to remember these are only potential side effects, you may not experience any issues with the medication

Please feel free to ask anything else

Follow-up: Had weight gain and Sexual dysfunction when on Zoloft. Thinking to switch from Zoloft to celexa. Suggest? 3 hours later
Thank you for all your help. Just to recap since this was a lot. Generally speaking, Celexa/Lexapro are very similar in regards to side effects and both medication have less of chance on weight gain than Zoloft? Sexual side effects aren't a major concern as of right now.

Thank you for all of your help

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
HI

Yes that's right.

Most persons have weight loss with lexapro though some persons have the opposite effect.

Please feel to ask any other questions