Had weaned off from prednisone. Getting metallic taste in mouth. Is it normal?

Question
I have been on 5 days of prednisone and weaned myself off, last dose was last friday, have had a terrible metal taste in my mouth during and still?. I asked a pharmacists answer was should be gone by now……still have strong melt taste constantly and bad livid dreams, hard to sleep, even too much wine does not help. thank you
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, The metallic taste you are feeling is a normal side effect of taking prednisone and voltaren injection. Please bare in mind that you will need time for the medication to leave your body, sometimes it will need up to 3 weeks to leave depending on the dose you were taking. However, if after 1 week of stopping the medication, you still have the metallic taste, I strongly suggest to consult GI specialist and check the liver functions. Meanwhile, - drink more water - start omeprazole and antiacids for gastritis - avoid spicy,chilly foods - eat slowly, small portions and often Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have more questions, feel free to ask me back at the next follow up. Dr.Alba

Follow-up: Had weaned off from prednisone. Getting metallic taste in mouth. Is it normal? 2 hours later
My dose of Voltarin was 75mg po bid for 5 days. Then day 6 and day 7 took only 1 Voltarin a day. Prednisone 20mg 2 tabs for 5 days,but, I realize I must taper the prednisone so I started on day 3 to 1 tab for 2 days then 1/2 tab the final fifth day. All meds stopped last Friday Nov15…………………still heavy metallic taste, and very hard to sleep. Ive been up since 600am PST and worked 8 hours walked my dog, ate and sipping red wine, not sleepy 100am now?????? XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow the answer below... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for writing back. The medications you used to ease pain (Voltaren and Prednisone) has caused irritation to your stomach (increased acidity or upset stomach). That's why I recommend to start using Omeprazole and anti acids to optimize the pH of the stomach and get relief. With regards to the sleeping problems you have, it is related to use of prednisone. Until the body will clear off prednisone, you'd have some troubles sleeping. The next time, your doctor prescribes prednisone, tell him/her about sleeping problems while using it. I usually recommend my patients to take chamomile tea or other local herbal tea for sleeping. If no progress, get some prescription drugs from your doctor. Hope it answered to your inquiries! If you have more questions, feel free to ask me back at the next follow up. Dr.Alba

Follow-up: Had weaned off from prednisone. Getting metallic taste in mouth. Is it normal? 12 hours later
so the anti acids will relive the metallic taste?

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes,antiacids&pump inhibitors(omeprazole) relieve Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Once again, thank you for writing back. Yes, OTC antiacids together with pump inhibitors (such as Omeprazole) will relieve the metallic taste in a couple of days after starting. Wish you health! Dr.Alba