Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had a warm sensation on my left calf a few days ago and i got worried, it lasted i want to say for two or three days and then it turned into pain in my left calf, left knee, left inner thigh and left glute. Sometimes i get pain in my left hand but not much and my right calf acts up but nothing that worries me, I am wondering what it is, i do spend about 7 hours sitting five days a week for work, i am wondering if that is a sign of a pinched nerve or if it is something more severe.
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 26 minutes later
It appears to be an occupation related problem [excessive sitting with lack of spine exercises].

This kind of pain is due to compression of nerve [pinched nerve] because of spinal disc bulge. Nerve compression lead to radiating pain, which aggravated on long time sitting in same particular position. Sacroilitis leads to similar pain. Acute muscle spasm aggravates symptoms. It is not looking something more serious.

Exercises-
Do spine extension exercises,lying on your stomach lift leg,then lift only head and chest,do [sun salutation]
Do stretches and rotation of all joints

Here are my other useful suggestions to you:
Avoid lifting weights
Sit with a support on your back.
Take break every half hour while at office. Try to do some stretches and joint movements
Continue spine extension exercises.

If the above do not help, you may need to see a Physiotherapist
SWD (Short Wave Diathermy), IFT (Interference Therapy). physiotherapy that will help you .

Check your vit B12 level and vit D3 level through blood test.
You continue methylcobalamine[B12], muscle relaxant with analgesic by consulting doctor
You need to investigate in the form of - X XXXXXXX spine and, MRI spine

Stress also increases back pain so I advice:
Get ample sleep, good amount of water and fluids .eat fresh fruits. Tackle stress at right time, keep your body weight in normal range.

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 16 minutes later
Is it ok for me to take ibuprofen or should i do the exercises first and then if they help then take the ibuprofen? Something i forgot to add is that i also sometimes get side pain on the sides of my abdomen it usually passes, i don't know if it is the way i am sitting or what up it occurs. Also something i thought was irrelevant, i get chest and back pain at random times, i think it is due to an injury from the past, but don't know, and i get it on my forearms which i do not get why it occurs.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 59 minutes later
Hello, again

Start ibuprofen and when you are pain-free, do spine exercises.

Your abdomen and chest pain can be due to gastric ulcer disease, continue your gastric medication, you may need to do gastric endoscopy and USG (ultrasonography) abdomen if pain remains. Such pain can be due to previous blunt injury.

Check your B12 Level.

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 2 hours later
Is there anything elsw those symptoms could point to?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later

These symptoms also point towards - intestinal infection, duodenal ulcer, pancreatic disease.

USG (Ultrasound) abdomen can help you to rule out those differentials.

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 22 hours later
Ive done the exercise with out ibuprofen for two days now and it is helping a bit. I had a sudden pain in my left eye it came for a few seconda and then disappeared as quickly as it came and my elbow hurt as well but i chalked it up to being on the phone for too long. Should i worry qbout the eye pain though?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 34 minutes later

Wash your eyes frequently with cold water.

If there is redness and itching in eyes, you need to consult doctor.

Continue spine exercises.

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 23 hours later
Are there other exercisesi should be doing? My stomach pain is less frequent is that a good thing? I do get some groin discomfort and my thigh and calf had muscle spasms.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Hello again,

If you are having thigh and calf muscle spasms you need to hold exercises for some period of time. You may consider visiting a physiotherapist and plan the exercise under guidance. You also need to start medications according to vitamin B12 levels.

I am glad the stomach aches are better - that is a good sign.

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 11 hours later
Do mean hold it longer or hold as in do not do anymore. Is there something i could do to reduce the pain when it does occur, something outside of narcotics.

Hello again,

If you are having thigh and calf muscle spasms you need to stop exercises for around 3 days . You may consider visiting a physiotherapist and plan the exercise under guidance. You also need to start medications according to vitamin B12 levels.

Yes you can take tab acelofenac with paracetamol to reduce pain ,these are non narcotic drugs

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 3 hours later
Was i supposed to have alternated between raising my head and my legs or was i supposed to be doing that simoultaneously?

The pain is more a discomfort now except from time to time i get a moment of groin pain.

I am taking sublingual b12 methycobalamin and a multi vitamin that includes d3. I have an appointment with a doctor in a few weeks.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Hello again,

exersices
1-raise right leg 6 inches from ground lying on your stomach
2-raise only left leg similarly for around 10 second
3-raise both leg only simoultaneously
4-raise head and chest with palms near shoulder lying on your stomach.[dont raise leg now]

Inj methylcobalamine is better as there is no obstruction of absorbtion

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 2 days later
Something i think i forgot to add was that i get pain on my fingers from time to time, it is odd. Also, at night when i snap awake my eyes have dark spots and sometime i see odd shapes, i think that is due to the fact i stare at a computer screen for hours on end but i don't know if it relevant so i thought i would mention it.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 9 hours later

The pain in your fingers will subside soon. Do not worry.

The odd shapes that you see is not related to spine problem. As you said, it may be related to staring at computer screen. If it persists, then a visit to an ophthalmologist is entailed.

Take care...

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 1 hour later
How many repetitions of those exercises should i do?

Also, can i do work outs like push ups, sit ups, dips and pull ups? Would you suggest i do the full sun salutation as in every movement in that particular group.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 10 hours later
Hello

You should do 3 repetition of all exercises.

No, you should not do work outs now.

Sun salutation, you can do individually also or in group also, everyday 6 to 10 rounds.

How high should i raise my chest, i do it until i am staring at the ceiling.

Hello.

You can raise the upper half of the body (chest and upper half of abdomen till the umbilicus) off the ground. Keep staring at ceiling

Follow-up: Had warm sensation in calf muscles. Later turned to pain in calf, knee, inner thigh and glute. Spend more time sitting in office. Remedy? 45 hours later
The spasms returned so i discontinued the work outs.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Hello

Ok stop exercises for a week ,then if you feel better you can start again

Ok. Thank you.

You are welcome.

The pain and weird feelings have gone down substantially, how long after it has completely died down do i wait before i start actually working out? or, should i strengthen my back before i start any sort of work out regimen?

Hello again ,

Before starting work out to strengthen your back, do warm up daily and joint rotation, and then gradually [after a week ] start gym workout.

Hope I answered your questions