Had walking pneumonia, developed chronic diseases since then, cold and sinus with tiredness. Multivitamins sufficient?

Okay I recently moved to Maryland over the summer, I had walking pneumonia in August upon moving here. Since then I have developed a few chronic issues. I am tired most of the time, lately its gotten worse like a lack of strength. I keep running fevers almost continuously. They're typically low grade usually between 99.5 and 101.2. I am cold all the time, but I am from Wisconsin, so I am used to a much colder climate. I have a history of sinus issues, but have no current congestion at this time. I work 2 jobs, but sleep fine. I have PCOS which isn't being treated at this time, so my crying spells I am guessing are all due to that or just this feeling of over tired. Plus i finally had a period last week after 4 months of not having one, no i can't be pregnant, I have no known allergies. I take a multi vitamin daily, Alive is the brand i believe. What do I do?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

The symptoms that you have described could be due to a hormonal problem like Hypothyroidism or a generalized viral syndrome.

It is very likely that your body is now in a recovery phase after fighting the infection which you have referred to. Sometimes it can take several weeks or even months for the body to completely regain total strength.

An infection is not just purely the body getting rid of some type of bacteria or virus. After the bacteria or virus is cleared, there still remains anti-inflammatory component which the body generates in the process of fighting the infection. This inflammation can generate several symptoms including generalized fatigue.

You are doing the right thing by supplementing your self with adequate vitamins. In addition it is extremely important that you maintain adequate physical activity on a daily basis. Try to push yourself to do regular fitness exercises each and every day. This will also help your body slowly recover from the illness. Maintain your hydration with plenty of fluids.

Also we cannot discount the very likely associated mental fatigue that goes along with having an illness such as you recently suffered. The mind body connection is very powerful and positive thinking on your part will certainly help your recovery process.

I do not see any indication for you to see your doctor just yet. I would say that within 3 to 4 weeks you should feel back to normal. If that is not the case, then you might make an appointment with your primary care provider to attend a general physical examination and perhaps some blood tests.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.