Had vomiting of lima bean sized hard white chunks. What could it be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My daughter threw up and there were about 8 lima bean sized hard white chunks in with the liquid
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Vomitings of lima bean sized hard particles in your daughter suggestive of ingestion of some edible or non edible material which caused stomach irritation leading to vomitings. It is advised to know the type of material she ingested by searching the surroundings. If the material is an eatable thing then nothing to worry and she requires drug to stop the vomiting. If it is a non edible one, then the nature of the material has to be sought to look for any further intervention such as stomach wash after consultation with medical care. And her vomitings to be controlled by an anti emetic medication such as ondansetron. Therefore I suggest you to seek medical attention as early as possible to know the material she ingested and to manage her vomitings. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Had vomiting of lima bean sized hard white chunks. What could it be? 6 hours later
It has been over 24 hours and only the one incident of vomiting. If she XXXXXXX large amounts of vitamin d milk over 4 days while staying with aunt could that cause it? My daughter is a very picky eater and when at home drinks 2% and not whole milk.....

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Excess consumption may cause vomiting. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. Consumption of excess dose of vitamin D in the form of tablets or suspension will cause vomitings. Large volume of milk consumption itself with or without vitamin D may lead to vomiting because of excess intake. But ask the child or her aunt regarding any history of consumption of anything as you have seen lima bean like chunks in her vomitus. If the child is active and there are no further vomitings then nothing to worry. But if she continues to have vomitings consult the pediatrician for clinical examination and medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.