Had vomiting and diarrhea with black stool. Suggested anemic. Taking iron pills. Having intense back pain. Should I be worried?

Psychiatrist
Question
I RECENTLY HAD TO GO TON THE ER VIAN AMBULANCE DUE TO VOMITTINGN AND DIAHARRIA WITH BLACK STOOL. MY BP WASN 86/50. I FAINTED IN THE E.R. AND WAS TOLD I WAS ANEMIC AND WILL NEED 2 PINTS OF BLOOD AND AN ENDOSCOPY AND A COLONOSCOPY AFTER THE BLOOD TRANSFUSION. I WAS UN CCU FORN 34 HRS. THENN AFTER BEGGING I CAME HOME. IAM TAKING IRON PILLS TWICE A DAY AND A PILL FOR ACID REFLUX. THEYN REMOVEDN 4 LARGEN POLOPS AND SAID IM HAVE DIVERTICULITIS. IAM 64 YRS. OLD. SINCE MY RELEASE I HAVE HAD INTENSE LOWER BACK AND EIGHT SIDE PAIN. I HAD BACK SURGERY 5 MONTHS AGO TO REMOVE A DISC THAT WAS FUSED. IN FELL ON MY REAR WHEN MY BP DROPPED SO LOW. IS IT NORMAL TO HAVEM THIS MUCH PAIN AFTER 2 WEEKS. THEY WANT TO DO ANOTHER TEST OF THE SMALL INTESTINE TO SEE WHERE THE BLEEDING WAS COMING FROM. NOTHING SHOWED FROM THE OTHER 2 TESTS. SHOULD I BE WORRIED?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry, name of test for bleeding requested.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Lower gastrointestinal bleeding is a serious problem that needs to be investigated completely so that you do not bleed in future.

The pain you are experiencing might be diverticulitis related. Removal of polyps also needs sufficient time for healing.

The 3 nonsurgical modalities used to diagnose lower gastrointestinal bleeding (LGIB) are colonoscopy, radionuclide scans, and angiography. Apart from colonoscopy, endoscopic procedures, such as esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), wireless capsule endoscopy (WCE), push enteroscopy, and double-balloon enteroscopy, are used depending on the clinical circumstance. The sequence of using various modalities depends on such factors as rate of bleeding, hemodynamic status of the patient, and inability to localize bleeding with the initial modality.

If you could send me some more information on the test you are scheduled to take to look for bleeding, I will be glad to explain that to you in detail. The test is necessary for the treatment and you should not get worried.

Waiting for an update from your end.
I hope this helps.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor