Had viral flu with temperature. Have running nose and cough. Vomiting. Prescribed Asthalin with Inhalex. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi, My Kid has had a viral flu for the past 3 days with temperature shooting upto 103 degrees. He was also having a runny nose and continuous cough. Although now the temperature has come down. has been coughing continuously in bouts of 10~12 coughs per minute. He even vomited what he had eaten in the morning. We gave him Asthalin with Inhalex through nebulizer twice yesterday night, and, an hour back. But his cough is not stopping. We gave him Zyrtec 2.5 ml (cetrizine) and it has bought it down a little bit. What is your advice? He is feeling very unwell and complaining about the cough.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
give an expectorant cough syrup in prescribed dose

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

As his cough is severe I suggest you to give a expectorant cough syrup containing a bronchodilator such as Ascoril expectorant or Bricarex A expectorant in prescribed dose every 8th hourly.

Expectorant cough syrup will help the child to loosen the thick mucus in the respiratory tract and thus helps to clear the airways and the bronchodilator will widen the airways and make respirations easy.

Continue nebulizations as advised by your pediatrician.

Observe his respiratory pattern.

If the respirations are high, consult your pediatrician again for follow up for medication advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had viral flu with temperature. Have running nose and cough. Vomiting. Prescribed Asthalin with Inhalex. What to do? 5 days later
The doctor advised him for Sefdin antibiotic pediatric syrup (containing cefdinir) for 9 days (5 ml twice a day). And, Benedryl Cough Syrup and Coriminic Xt Bronchodilator expectorant (Ambroxol+ Guaiphenesin+ Terbutaline) 5 ml for 3 days.

While we had started the Sefdin antibiotic dosage and given him for 5 doses, a XXXXXXX doctor advised that we should stop the antibiotic immediately since the infection did not seem like a bacterial infection, and, more of a viral infection. So, we stopped it yesterday. My kid hasn't had any temperature in the past 3 days.

Early morning today at 0600 AM, he had a coughing bout again (8~9 bouts together). But, once we nebulized him with sterile water, he calmed down. He also sneezes (meaning there's some amount of cold which he still has)

Two questions I have:
1. We had only given him Azee earlier. Is Sefdin a good antibiotic?
2. Since, a XXXXXXX doctor advised us to immediately stop the antibiotic in 2 and half days (5 doses) rather than 18 doses as prescribed by the junior doctor, have we taken the right decision? Will it harm the kid if the infection were to return?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
1.good antibiotic,2.right decision, no harm.

Detailed Answer:

I went through your detailed description.

Sefdin is a good antibiotic.

Your decision to stop the antibiotic with the advise of the XXXXXXX doctor is right as the XXXXXXX doctor told it looks like viral infection. Viral infection doesn't require antibiotic. And your decision can be further strengthened as the child did not have fever for the past 3 days.

Nothing to worry as this is looking like a viral illness, it will not harm the kid with return of infection by stopping antibiotic.

I suggest you to continue the rest of medication as advised by the XXXXXXX doctor and be in follow up.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had viral flu with temperature. Have running nose and cough. Vomiting. Prescribed Asthalin with Inhalex. What to do? 3 days later
Thanks for clarifying above. My kid has been running cold, and, I have been nebulizing him with sterile water early mornings when he has coughing bouts. The kid responds to the nubulizing. I do not give him asthalin and inhalex until his breathing is faster. Is this right?

Also, my doctor has advised him today on seroflo inhaler 125 (salmeterol & fluticasone propionate inhalation ip) two puffs at the night as a preventive for next two months so that he does not have wheezing episodes. Using a huff & puff kit. Is this a good preventive, and, will this have any side effects on the kid? Will it make him dependent on this for long term?

How can I increase his natural immunity against these kind of attacks?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seroflo has minimal and negligible side effects.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dushyant Mohanty,

Thank you for getting back.

For running nose you can give oral antihistamine like Zyrtec in prescribed dose.

Instead of sterile water using normal saline for nebulization for his bouts of cough is a better option.

Whenever child is having cough with wheezing or fast breathing with underlying bronchospasm you can give nebulization with Asthalin and inhalex in prescribed dose.

Use seroflo inhaler 125 as advised. Yes it is good preventive inhaler as it contains a long acting bronchodilator and steroid. Side effects are minimal as the dose delivered into body is very less, directly into the lungs without entering into blood.

And the benefits of is inhalation outweighs the side effects. The drugs in this inhaler are not dependent or habit making drugs so there is no chance of making the child dependent for long term.

I suggest you some advise to improve his natural immunity and to decrease the frequency of this attacks as follows:

1.Give him a well balanced and nutritious diet.

2.Give all recommended vaccinations as per the immunization schedule and Flu
vaccination can be given every year with the advise from your pediatrician.

3.Prevent the exposure of the child to known allergens like dust, pollution,
smoke, allergic foods, cold air, sprays and perfumes, mosquito coils and
repellents, paints, cold water, pet animals, plants and pollen.

4.Avoid the child exposure to crowds and people with cold and cough.

5.Maintain his hands hygiene by washing them after play, toilet and before his
food.

If you don't have any clarification you can close the discussion and I request you to review rate my answer.

Regards.