Had viral eye infection. Developed headache with blovked nostrils. Have cold and blocked nose. Help?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi doctor, i recently had a viral eye infection which lasted for three weeks and left with corneal abrasions. Two weekd ago i startex developing a dull headache on either sides of my temples and eyebrow with pain in one side at a time along with blovked nostrils ...thoughi dont have cold ...i still have the blocked nose and at times the relevant ear also gets blovked with some mild poking pain...please help me ...since i have corneal abrasions my opthamologist have put ne on fml-t eye drops low steriod and systane ultra ....i get some temporary relief for some 15 mins to half an hour if i take steam inhalation . Help me
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 9 hours later
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
FML is not welcome in cases of any corneal abrasion,it prevents healing of abrasion.What you are having is a envolvement of mucosa of eye,nose and throat,which are continuous,so there is a spread of infection.
For eye if you stop FML you will be better of and FML can be used when ulceration is healed.
Antibiotic eye drops to take care of super added bacterial infection and lubricant eye drops to help in healing will do the trick for you.
Oral anti infllamatory tablets are welcome to relieve infllamation.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Follow-up: Had viral eye infection. Developed headache with blovked nostrils. Have cold and blocked nose. Help? 1 hour later
So does it mean that my viral infection has popped up again? I have been using this fml-t eye drops since yesterday. Since it is a steriod can i stop them immediately? My opthamologist told me to taper it ...also i consulted an ent specialist here last week who told me this is due to post eye infection syndrome and suggested me to take moxicip and vozet tablet...but my opthamologist said since ido not have any sinus need not take any antibiotics orally..my opthamologist said i have developed whitespots in my cornea for which she is giving me ths fml-t drops

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 15 minutes later
My Dear,
Basic rule is that in ulcers you are not supposed to give steroids.
The moxicip advised by ENT doctor is fine.
Steroids where not needed can be stopped immediately and need not be tapered.Steroids even oral have to be tapered if given for one week,shorter then that they can be stopped immediately.
Have another openion about steroid locally,as your ophthalmologist may have seen something which you are not able to communicate to me and where steroids may be needed.
Again any ulcer,means no steroids and only lubricant.
Do get back to me for any further query in this regard.

Follow-up: Had viral eye infection. Developed headache with blovked nostrils. Have cold and blocked nose. Help? 37 minutes later
Is moxicip tablet for treating my sinus or for this bacterial infection ...

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
My Dear,
Moxicip tablet is an antibiotic,it controls bacterial infection of sinuses or any where else in the body.
This will help your ENT problem and may not be too helpful for the body

Follow-up: Had viral eye infection. Developed headache with blovked nostrils. Have cold and blocked nose. Help? 17 minutes later
Hi doctor, i have been using this fml-t eye drops since yesterday for 4 times each day .... my dry eye problem seems to have come down but my blocked nose and blocked ear problem has popped up and feel mild heaviness in my right eye . Not only this sunce the viral eye infectikn has come down i have been experiencingsevere dry eyes and the discomfirt is always felt more in the right eye whereas it was the left eye tht the infection was severe. Whenever i take steam inhallation iget relief but it lasts only fir half an hour ... also i have been experiencing some neck pain and back head pain last two weeks

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 minutes later
My Dear,
your dry eye is helped by the lubricant eye drop you are using,continue with that.
steam inhalation and rest of management can be continued safely