Had vertical band gastoplasty. How can I lose weight? Had knee replacement surgery. Stooped taking iron supplements

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I had vertical band gastoplasty in 2000 and lost over 120 pounds but in the last few years I have out lots back on my question is can I have anything done to help me to keep loosing weight? Last year I was put into hospital from bleeding somewhere doctor believes it was from my stomach stepping. I had a severelly low blood count and had too get two pints of blood plus go for a month twice a week for iv's of iron supplements. What can I have done to help me. When I had my original surgery I never had but one follow up and it was to get my staples out, I was never out on special meds or vitamins. I can only eat certain foods I can't eat any meats or fish. I only eat mashed potatoes, peas or corn,salad,and cheese. I crave cheese and sweets all the time and sometimes give in to them please help me what can I do? I only get medicare will it pay for me to get fixed. I don't wanna gain all this weight back I had three knee replacement surgeries in three years and I now have high blood pressure. Please help me
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Bariatric or obesity surgery basically aims at reducing the absorption of nutrients in the body. As a result a state of malabsorption develops. Various irreversible changes take place in the various parts of the gut.
In your case it will not be possible to regain normalcy of absorption within the GI tract. You will have to consider parentral hyperalimentation or nutrition for quite some time and ensure normalcy of blood values of various nutrients.
You will now have to undergo various tests for measuring the blood values and then start a corrective formula comprising of both oral as well as parentral nutrition.
If the gastric band is causing too many problems it needs to be removed.
I hope this answers your question.

Follow-up: Had vertical band gastoplasty. How can I lose weight? Had knee replacement surgery. Stooped taking iron supplements 3 hours later
Thank for your answer but what can I now do to help me to keep loosing weight? I've gained a lot back and am very upset. I crave chocolate and mints sweets. Please help me

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
You have to continue with your dietary protocol. Craving for sweets has to be avoided at all costs. Exercise is not possible in view of your knee surgeries. However there are newer mthods of weight loss using electromagnetic energy as well as heat therapy. I think you can consider them for weight loss having being cleared by your cardiologist and physician.
I hope this answers your querry.

Follow-up: Had vertical band gastoplasty. How can I lose weight? Had knee replacement surgery. Stooped taking iron supplements 20 minutes later
What are these weight loss options you told me about? Wha rt does the doctor do? Please help me and thanks for your help

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 13 minutes later
The electromagnetic nuform is a newer method for weight loss. It is available only at advanced weight reduction centers and is done under medical supervision only.
It is specially structured for individuals who cannot function by virtue of orthopedic ailments.
Since these involve electromagnetic waves it is essential that the normalcy of the heart is ascertained by a cardiologist.
I hope this answers your querry.