Had ventrical shunt put in. Getting headache and nausea. How to get relief?

I had a ventrical shunt put in 2 months ago and still get headaches and nausea. will it ever get better so I can return to work. I still get nausea and have headaches. I have no energy. I work as a casher was wondering if I will be able to return

Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Hydrocephalus in adults deserving shunts, especially in adults might require quite some time for symptoms to actually clear off. It is therefore not very unusual that you are still experiencing some of these symptoms.
It usually takes longer in adults because it also takes a long time to constitute, and a rapid release of the pressure could have rebound effects.
Symptoms take time to decrease and might take up to 6 months before you get back to normal. Analgesics within this acute phase and anti emmetics could help.
However, intensification of symptoms or onset of other signs of intracranial hypertension like jet like vomitting, blurred vision or photophobia, severe morning headaches or severe fatigue, difficulties to retain urine and an alteration in the mental status should be reported immediately to the neurosurgeon for a rapid reevaluation.
For now, I suggest you stay calm, stay positive as symptoms shall gradually diminish and get to normal with time.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Had ventrical shunt put in. Getting headache and nausea. How to get relief? 15 hours later
thanks for that information now being a cashier at walmart how long is the normal waiting period before getting back to work.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,
waiting time shall depend on the clinical evaluation and the clinical appreciation of your operating neurosurgeon.. However, in most cases, 6 to 12 months is usually a reasonable time when most patients become relatively well and become able to lead symptom free lives. It might occur earlier, but the normal waiting time should be not less than 6 months after intervention.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.