Had vaginal myomectomy. Had periods. Had unprotected sex. Took postinor. Noticed spotting. Pregnant?

Question
Hi. I recently had a vaginal myomectomy (May 3) and after that got my periods for about a week. My Obs/Gyn also removed the IUD on the same day. I had unprotected sex on the 11th of May. On the 13th of May I took Postinor 2 - both tablets at the same time. I got some spotting a week later. I then had unprotected sex at least 3 other times. I got spotting a second time but very light. Could I be pregnant?
NB; I am married with 2 children and currently 37 years old. Today the 1st of XXXXXXX i bought a HCG Test kit which showed negative results.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Emergency contraception is highly effective once taken within the 72 hour window, it would have significantly reduced the chances of conception.

If you used the emergency contraception after each episode of unprotected intercourse then it is highly unlikely that you would have conceived.If emergency contraception was not used after each time then it is possible that you could be pregnant.

The level of HCG in the urine is low initially and it rises or doubles every 1 to 2 days. It is normally detectable in the urine about 12 to 14 days after conception has occurred and in blood a few days before this time.
Falsely negative results can occur if the level of HCG is too low to be detected by the particular test.

To determine definitively if you are pregnant you can consider any of the following: (1) a blood HCG level by your doctor, (2) obtaining an early detection pregnancy kit that can pick up low levels of HCG (3) waiting a few days and repeating the test - the HCG levels would increase and would be detected by most tests.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Had vaginal myomectomy. Had periods. Had unprotected sex. Took postinor. Noticed spotting. Pregnant? 3 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX

I appreciate your prompt answer. I have a couple of other questions:-

1. Is it safe for me to carry the pregnancy after the myomectomy? and also considering my age?

2. If pregnant what would you recommed that I start taking immediately in order to get a good healthy baby.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi

Since you are only a few weeks away from the myomectomy, if you get a positive pregnancy test result from another test, you need to see you doctor as soon as possible. Women have different rates of healing for the uterus but it may not be completely healed as yet and she may want to assess if there is any risk.

Again this depends on if you get a positive pregnancy test result from another test.
The HCG test that was done was negative which means that as present there is no clear evidence that you are pregnant. This may be because the HCG levels are too low to be detectable at this point and you need to repeat the test or that you are truly not pregnant.

If you are considering conceiving then you should be taking folic acid vitamins which are necessary for an pregnant female to help the baby. Most maternal vitamins contain folic acid in sufficient quantities

Please feel free to ask any other questions