Had vaginal culture done. What does finding suggest?

Hi, I had vaginal culture done, it came back with these finding. rare white blood cells seen, many epithelial cells, and many gram variable bacilli. please help.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal findings

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Did you mention that it is a culture or simple a vaginal smear? cultures should identify the germ and not findings like these. Please just double check to make sure it is as intended.

Your findings are normal and represent no pathological significance. White cells represent a reaction to an infection and they are rare to see on your specimen. Epithelial cells are normal and constitute the normal cells seen in the vaginal. Gram variable bacilli are the typical germs found in the vaginal(lactobaccillus) and live there causing no harm. However, if you have symptoms suggestive of any vaginal infection, then let us know. If you have no further concerns, then sit and be relaxed about these findings.

I wish you well and hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for clarification if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Had vaginal culture done. What does finding suggest? 49 minutes later
Thank you for responding. It indicates on the test ( culture, anaerobic bacteria w /gram stain. It has been a long time of having vaginal infections, no positive findings for stds but several bv infections. now having pain and itching with cramps. had ct of chest done in december of 2012 it states also adrenal adenoma maybe related?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
More information needed to establish the link

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for following up with me.

Adrenal adenoma means so many different things and I cannot conclude without some ore information. There are active adenomas (secreting hormones) and incidental adenomas. If it is active, then what are some of the signs and symptoms that you have?

Recurrent vaginal infections should prompt your doctor to look for what the predisposing factors are. Other pathologies like weakened immune system, diabetes, poor practices like constantly douching the vaginal, etc can favor repeated infections. Talk with your doctor and get this looked into.

If a culture is done, then the antibiotic that can treat the infection should be identified and used accordingly. Is this the case with you?

I hope this helps. Feel free to keep the conversation going.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD