Had vacuum assisted core needle biopsy says fibroepithelial lesion with local exaggerated intracanalicular growth pattern. Meaning ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Freaking OUT: I was sent for a vacuum assisted core needle biopsy April 11th because my BIRADs were Suspicious on two areas. The results came back as follows: Left Breast nodule, 5:00 - Fibroepithelial lesion with local exaggerated intracanalicular growth pattern. Differential Diagnosis includes finbroadenoma vs benign phyllodes tumor, morphologic features favor the first impressions,. Clinical correclation indicated. What does this mean?

The doctor who ordered the tests called me and said it was NOT cancer but I may want to have this removed as phyllodes can grow big so I had to see a breast surgeon. My regular doctor said the same, no cancer, he said "watch and wait". The breast surgeon told me "I cannot say for sure this isnt cancer but most are benign if indeed it is a phyllodes." So now I have to wait until the 18th of May and another 5 days for the results of the lumpectomy. Can anyone tell me if I have reason to worry with the above findings of the biopsy. oh, my lump is 12mm x 9 x 16mm. I have previous fibroadenomas since I was 19 that have not chaged...this is a new one since I had a child over two years ago. I am now 42. I also have a two year old, last mamo was 4 yrs ago,,,and THEY discovered it on a routine one.. thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The findings of your biopsy are indicative of a benign lesion. It is not suggestive of any cancer. But even if benign, it is best to remove all the rapidly growing lesions. It is good that you have had a lumpectomy.
Please do not worry as the pathology you had has already been taken care of.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Had vacuum assisted core needle biopsy says fibroepithelial lesion with local exaggerated intracanalicular growth pattern. Meaning ? 11 hours later
are the odds good it is a fibroadenoma vs. a phyllodes? they took 3 samples in the biopsy. I just need to get some peace since I have to wait until the 18th for the lumpectomy(ies). I fear a phyllodes...I was fine til I saw the surgeon...she scared the crap out of me! I hear these phyllodes are not good even if benign.

Thank you for your help .
Follow-up: Had vacuum assisted core needle biopsy says fibroepithelial lesion with local exaggerated intracanalicular growth pattern. Meaning ? 15 minutes later
clarification: I had the preliminary core biopsy only -(attached) they recommended lumpectomy - I will not have that until the 18th of May- hence when they can tell for sure what it is n THAT pathology. Surgeon said they need to analyze the entire lump to tell for sure...that is what cares me...what do you think, will pathology come back the same? (hoping!!!)

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the report. The cellular pattern is more suggestive of fibroadenoma.
The lumpectomy report will be confirmatory.
Please do not worry. The chances of having a phyllodes are lesser.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.