Had uvulitis and snoring. Tried gargling with salt water. Healing period?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had uvulitis for 6 days now. Not sure whether it was a reaction to food or the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX winds in so cal or a viral or bacterial infection. should it last this long? I do not drink alcohol or caffeine as they make me anxious. I am a 44 year old male who does snore which may be contributing to the duration that this is taking to go away, possibly.
I tried gargling with salt water, colloidal silver, a mixture of water,salt, and XXXXXXX cider vinegar, and I spray a throat spray that I purchased from whole foods( helps a little).
Should this be taking this long to go away. It has improved a little since day 1.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Firstly try an anti-allergic like Benadryl. Sometimes a steroid under antibiotic cover may have to be added to reduce the inflammation. Anti-inflammatory medication may also help.

2. You should get this uvulitis examined if it has persists in spite of the above treatment.

3. If you can upload an image, it may be possible to assess the situation. It may be possible that it is an angioedema as it is associated with snoring or dry weather. It may also be drug induced.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had uvulitis and snoring. Tried gargling with salt water. Healing period? 1 hour later
Ok I have uploaded an image for you.
I tried benadryl a few nights ago-helped me sleep but during the day I didn't like the feeling it gave me so I stopped. It didn't seem to help the uvula but did help the sleeping.

When you say drug induced-I do not take any drugs. I tend to leave allopathic medications as a last resort. I try home remedies, homeopathic and naturopathic remedies and now something that may be a gentle transition rather than the big guns (if you know what I mean)

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The image shows a severe congestion of the uvula,soft palate, tonsil and the posterior pharyngeal wall.

2. Benadryl would help if it was an allergy and does cause drowsiness. You may try a newer generation non-sedating anti-histamine.

3. Turmeric powder in warm milk is an effective natural home remedy. A bland diet will help. A medicated gargle such as Betadine or Chlorhexidine will help.

4. If this does not subside in a couple of days, kindly seek medical attention.

Regards.