Ask a Urologist   »  

Had urinary tract infection. Why has pain increased? Drinking water is a good option?

I had a urinary tract infection for last 3 weeks, which is diagnosed only now. Is there anything to worry about? The treatment has not yet started as the lab is generating antibiogram for it. The pain has increased in past two days. Should I wait for the final report or should I start with some antibiotics.
I have started drinking lots of water.
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 48 minutes later
It is uncommon to have a urine infection if you are a man under the age of 50. The usual treatment is a course of an antibiotic. Tests to assess the bladder, prostate, or kidneys are sometimes advised, particularly if the infection occurs two or more times within three months, or if a kidney is infected.
A urine culture can confirm the diagnosis and identify the bacterium causing the infection. 
Normally an antibiotic can be started after sending the urine sample for culture,especially if the person is feeling pain or discomfort like you.

One can always change the antibiotic if the culture report demands it.
Consult your doctor for an antibiotic prescription and take plenty of water.
You can also take a urine alkalizer which can lessen the pain and discomfort.
There is absolutely no reason for any worry.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Had urinary tract infection. Why has pain increased? Drinking water is a good option? 3 minutes later
Thank you doctor,

I was only worried, because the pain was for last 3 weeks. I had a boil in the pubic region. Earlier I was thinking that the pain is because of the boil. But the boil is better now. So doctor said, it can either be UTI or hernia. And after 3 and half weeks, it came out to be UTI. My only concern is, if the situation is XXXXXXX since the pain is for last 3 weeks, or its fine if I start the medicine tomorrow after the antibiogram is done?

Thanks and Regards,
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 minutes later
If the report is coming tomorrow then you can wait till then.
The situation is not at all XXXXXXX
Just relax.