Had urinalysis was put on antibiotics. History of infection. Suggest?

Question
Ok. Because I don't have insurance, when I went to the doctor they only did the urinalysis. The culture will be back Monday. I was put on antibiotics because of a history of infection. Also, there is concern because this is the third problem in 3 months. What the test did show in the office were ketones. In the last three days I have tried limiting my potassium, protein, salt, phosphorous, and refined carbohydrates. My saliva pH is 5. My urine pH is 6. Am I in trouble here? I am trying to follow the renal diet.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Guru 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't think you are in big trouble

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for consulting HealthCareMagic!

After you receive the Urine culture/sensitivity appropriate sensitive antibiotic course may be started and would possibly treat your urine infection. Coming to ketones in urine it has may causes which include few normal things like
high protein with low carbohydrate diet, fasting and may also be due to fever, acute infection, metabolic disorders, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, vomiting etc. Associated findings combined with physical examination would hint appropriate cause.

Normal values of urinary pH vary from 4.5 to 8.0. So, do not worry about this. Follow up for urine culture and appropriate treatment. I also suggest to get all your medication dosages reviewed by your treating physician.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further. If you are satisfied please proceed with closing and rating this answer.

Wish you a good health!

Follow-up: Had urinalysis was put on antibiotics. History of infection. Suggest? 5 minutes later
So, you don't think that my kidneys may be throwing acid back into my blood because they are not functioning correctly?

Answered by Dr. Guru 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, I do not think so

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up.

No, I do not think so. And from the description you have given and the tests you have undergone, I do not suspect that there is either a problem with your kidney functioning or an acid reflux back into blood from kidneys.

Hope I have answered your query. If you are satisfied please proceed with closing and rating this answer.
Take care!