Ask a Dentist   »  

Had upper veneers, sore and inflamed gums, done bite adjustments. Need help

Question
5 yrs ago I had three upper veneers, immediately my gums were inflamed and sore even with the temporaries on (three front, one side) then I had two crown lengthening. Nothing helped my sore gums, then I was told I was allergic to the glue and porcelain, had the veneers taken off for crowns this also didn't didn't work. My gums are as sore as when I first had the veneers put on and no one can tell me what's wrong. With many bite adjustments 5 later this still didn't help either. Do you know someone that can help me?
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern. However I would be in a better position to answer your query if you can provide me some more information here:

1. Since how long ago do you have this soreness? (how long after veneer application did you develop this soreness)
2. Do you notice any painful ulceration of the gums?
3. Are you on any medicines for the same?
4. Any history of foul mouth odor?

Awaiting your reply

Dr.Gunjan Gupta

Follow-up: Had upper veneers, sore and inflamed gums, done bite adjustments. Need help 13 hours later
5 years, the gums have never healed. The sore gums started with the veneers, they are red and inflamed most of the time. No medicine, I want to find the problem not mask it. No history of foul mouth order and no health problems except for sore gums.
I have been to four Dentists, Prostisdontis and other medical people. Nobody knows, I
can't believe it....!
Please help me.....!
AAAA

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
First of all I would like to inform you that for veneers during tooth preparation gums get necrosed little bit but it heals itself with in few days and the same thing is true for crown preparation. But as you said your gums did not healed yet it is not normal.
This might be because of some other problems like
1. Poor oral hygiene.
2. Malnutrition
3. periodontal disease.
5. Diabetes.
6. Stress.
7. Genetic factors.
8. Heavy smoking.
9. Haematological (blood born) diseases.
10. Hormonal changes, etc.
So I will suggest you please go for scaling first, if after 1 week condition will be the same, you should go for complete medical examination including blood tests.
Do not get worried; start with the first step that is scaling. Now you have to have patience, if you will take stress the condition will get worst because stress is also a factor as I mentioned above.
Take Care.
Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Follow-up: Had upper veneers, sore and inflamed gums, done bite adjustments. Need help 3 hours later
I've had crowns on the bottom right since and two old bridges, none post a problem. I do not smoke and I've done everything you can for hygiene. It is only these three teeth that are the problem, my other teeth are fine. What is scaling?

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 5 hours later

Thanks for providing me that information.

As the inflammation is limited to three teeth only, I wonder if there was excess of cement used for veneers in those areas. Sometimes when the excess cement is not properly cleaned, it can explain recurring/persistent gum inflammation.

Without an opportunity to examine you, I am unable to narrow down any other cause to explain the gum soreness, so I encourage you to visit a competent dentist or perhaps a cosmetic dentist in your locality to discuss about the possibilities and its treatment.

Scaling is a process used to remove deposits and or food particles from the tooth surface in your oral cavity.

I understand you are concerned, but do not get worried. Stress is a known factor to cause gum soreness. So don't be discouraged. I feel you would find answers after the visit to cosmetic dentist.

Hope this helped. If you have further enquiries, I will be happy to help you.

Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta