Had upper endoscopy and was prescribed Protonix. Should I get a script of Protonix to heal the esophagus?

Would you recommend me getting a script of Protonix? I have read that is stronger and actually heal the espogeaus.

In 2008 I had the Upper Endoscophy and was prescribed protonix after and it did wonders.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Protonix is an excellent proton pump inhibitor and can promote good healing of the esophagus. I would take it twice daily for one week followed by once daily for a good four weeks thereafter.

This is a prescription medicine which you must obtain from your doctor.

It is hard to say whether it would be superior to omeprazole but if you had outstanding results previously I think it would be a fine choice for you.

Thanks again for the query. It is a privilege and a pleasure to discuss your medical concerns in our forum.

Dr. Galamaga