Had unprovoked PE and diagnosed with Factor 5 Leiden. Which is the safest and lowest risk blood thinner for post hernia surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Had unprovoked PE in May 2010
Also Diagnosed with Factor 5 Leiden
Had 6 month course of Coumadin. Currently taking one 81mg of aspirin daily
Scheduled to have hernia surgery on 10/1/13

Question: which is the safest and lowest risk blood thinner for post hernia surgery (4 weeks in total).

Xeralto was a possibility that had been recommended; however, I’ve read that there is no clear antidote for this drug. I’m concerned should I have an episode of bleeding, or an accident, what measures would be taken to reverse the bleeding.

Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Racemic warfarin sodium is safe.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Oral Racemic warfarin sodium is safest and with lower risk and its long term studies have been done,
Warfarin is rapidly and completely absorbed from intestine. You consult your treating doctor before starting this.

Yes, Xaralto has major side effect of bleeding so it should be taken with caution, and its long term studies are not available.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.