Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
pregnant?hi, I know there's a good chance I'm worrying about nothing, but thought I would ask anyways. my last proper period was around the 2nd of January and lasted a normal 4 days. I got snowed in over my boyfriend's house from the 18th to the 21st January and stupidly had unprotected sex a few times. I worked out I would've roughly been ovulating from around the 15th/16th to around the 20th. on the 22nd I took levonelle to counteract at least some of the times. well, about 5 days later I had a very light period (am usually pretty heavy) which lasted around 4 days on and off. I read that if you take levonelle after ovulation then you're more likely to be late, not early? I was roughly 8 days earlier than I should have been. its now been a month since I took the MAP and the last week I've been constipated, had lots of gas, nauseous at times, really tired and generally lacking in energy and the feeling of being full/heavy. Is there any point in taking a test, or wait until a month has passed from that light period? thanks
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 59 minutes later
Hello
Thank you for your query.

After taking Levonelle as an emergency contraceptive pill, In most cases, the period will be on time, sometimes it may come early and a number of women who take Levonelle One Step will have a late period.
So, you could have had an early period, and sometimes, in response to emergency hormonal contraceptive, there is a slight withdrawal bleed, which could also be the case.
The effects you mention such as constipation, flatulence, nausea, fatigue etc could be because you are about to have a normal period ( pre menstrual symptoms ) or due to an early pregnancy.
Firstly, Levonelle is less effective since you had intercourse around ovulation, and secondly, you had probably taken it a bit late.
Regarding your testing for pregnancy, you can take a pregnancy test tomorrow, since 2nd January was your last proper period.

Please take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 26 minutes later
thankyou for your reply.

It's the symptoms that are worrying me, as I never get them. I usually get the odd headache and maybe fatigue, but I've had the constipation for over a week now, which isn't normal for me. Also, yesterday and today, I've had very tender breasts. They're not swollen or anything, but just tender, without touching them. This is something that never happens during PMS for me.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Well, the symptoms you describe could very well fit into an early pregnancy.
So take a test and we will know where you stand.
take care.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 43 hours later
update here: I've done a clear blue test this morning and turns out that I'm not pregnant. I'm surprised as I actually thought I was pregnant as I feel different, not like I've felt before. But I guess I must be imagining it all

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Good for you.
I would ask you to wait for two weeks more, and then consult a doctor in case you do not have a proper period.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 45 minutes later
do you think the test could've been wrong then?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
No, the test is 97 % reliable.
Its the 3 % that made me write that.
Also, there could be delayed conception/ implantation spotting that could confuse.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 20 hours later
what is delayed conception and implantation spotting?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Delayed conception is when you ovulate later than expected, and hence conception is delayed.
Implantation spotting is mild light bleeding that occurs after conception when the embryo implants inside the uterus, and the slight bleeding is mistaken for a light period.
I just put the theoretical possibilities there.
In the presence of a negative pregnancy test, there is practically nothing to worry about.
take care.

sorry to keep asking questions, its just that I'm worried now that if there was delayed conception, then does that mean I could still be pregnant? surely it wouldn't have been so delayed that my hcg hormones wouldn't have been detected?

Hello
Yes, I told you that urine pregnancy tests are 97 % reliable.
I was explaining the remote 3 % possibilities to you, which seem to be unnecessarily scaring you.
The clearblue relies on urine B HCG which is not as reliable as blood BHCG levels.
Hence, a negative blood test or an opinion by a gynecologist / transvaginal ultrasound would be 100 % confirmatory.
And you never need to feel sorry for asking questions.
I am here to answer them anytime.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 2 days later
well, I've still not got my period. The last proper one I had was the 1st January and then that 'light' period almost five weeks ago. I don't even feel like it's going to arrive

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 48 minutes later
That's strange.
Apart from pregnancy, a delayed period is often due to some other reasons : Stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals, rapid fluctuations in weight, thyroid dysfunction, polycystic ovaries or other uterine diseases.
It's already been 5 weeks even considering your light " period "
I would most certainly ask you to consult a gynaecologist, have an XXXXXXX check up, a pelvic ultrasound if necessary.
Without examining you, it's tough to say what's going on..
Do get back..

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 18 hours later
update: my doctor said to do another pregnancy test the end of this week just in case I am pregnant?? I don't really see the point of all that though to be honest. The constipation has eased slightly, but stomach still feels a little bloated. the rest is still the same

Did you have any sexual intercourse after the snowed in incident you mentioned ???

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 7 minutes later
no, it was just over those three days

If you had no intercourse after that episode, the possibility is VERY VERY remote that you are now pregnant.
Yes, false negatives are there early on, in a sense she is right that before moving on to other diagnosis and possibilities, it is worthwhile to have one more pregnancy test.
So go for it, and let me know too.
Bear in mind that you follow all the instructions carefully, while performing the test.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 11 minutes later
I couldn't wait til the weekend and have just done one. Again, negative. I made sure it was dipped long enough etc, so definitely did it right. This last hour I've found myself feeling very nauseous, couldn't stomach my salmon, which I usually love, and shivery and achy around the hips and back. To be honest I feel drunk, even though I've not had a drink.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
I am very sure you should see your doctor, because you are most definitely not pregnant, and the rest needs to be ruled out by an examination and blood work. Insist on a consultation at the earliest please.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex.Took levonelle after ovulation. Having light bleeding. Pregnant? 5 hours later
well I ended up going to an out of hours doctor last night. he tested my urine and said everything was normal and that the missed period was just one of those things . He said my stomach was bloated but seemed fine

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later
Well, a missed period could be stress or anxiety as I said.
But you need proper work up to evaluate other reasons like thyroid disorder, polycystic ovaries, other endocrine reasons.
I would suggest an appointment with a Gynecologist.