Had unprotected sex while on period. Is there any chances of pregnancy?

Hi, I had intercourse with my husband on the 5th day of my periods. It had stopped. The condom broke.
I am recently married and planning to have kids only after an year or two. Could you please let me know if i can get pregnant. I have regular periods.

Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Though pregnancy can occur at any aspect of the menstrual cycle, it is more likely to occur 10 to 17 days after the start of the last period. This is the middle of the cycle and is the time that ovulation is thought to occur, though this can vary slightly from one woman to the next.

Because you were intimate 5 days after the start of your period it is unlikely that pregnancy would occur.

You may want to consider using another form of contraception along with or instead of the condom to ensure that you are not likely to become pregnant till you are ready.
This would include oral contraceptives, the patch, the injection every 3 months for example. None of these would affect your ability to conceive when you are ready.

If this is not an option then you may want to keep emergency contraception handy in case the condom should burst again. Emergency contraception prevents an egg from being released.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex while on period. Is there any chances of pregnancy? 25 hours later

Thanks for the help.
I would like to know if i need to use any emergency contraception now to avoid getting pregnant. It is already 4 days since we were intimate.

Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

Emergency contraceptive works best if taken within 72 hrs of intercourse, at this point it would not be as effective but may still have some beneficial effect. The pregnancy rate if used after 72hrs is still lower than those who use nothing at all so you can go ahead and use which ever one is available at your local pharmacy.

Please feel free to ask any other questions