Had unprotected sex, took birth control pills. Having delayed periods. Pregnant?

Mar 2013
It's been 31days since I took my birth control pills and I have had unprotected sex in my period hasn't showed up I'm worried
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
If you have been taking your birth control consistently and correctly, chances of conception ( ie. failure rate of oral contraceptive pills ) are very low.
However, if you have skipped your period, please take a pregnancy test so that you are sure.
There are various causes of a skipped period , apart from pregnancy, such as anxiety, stress, emotional turbulence, hectic travelling, rapid changes in weight, ingestion of other medications that interfere with the menstrual cycle, hypothyroidism, raised prolactin levels, polycystic ovarian disease etc.
As a first step, a pregnancy test would clarify matters.
All the best.