Had unprotected sex, taken plan B. Started vomiting. Will plan B still work or do I need to take another?

Hi, IHad unprotected sex on saturday morning and I took plan b last night around 7:30pm last night while eating a salad. Later that night around 1 or 1:30 I was not feeling great and started to vomit. Will the plan b pill still work or do I need to take another?
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later

Plan B contains levonorgestrel which acts as an emergency contraceptive by preventing ovulation or fertilisation and may also inhibit implantation.

It is rapidly absorbed when taken and is not broken down by the liver, a study demonstrated that the peak content was at 1.6 hours after taking it. This means if you took it at 7:30 and vomited about 6 hours after, it would have already been absorbed into your system.
Remember to take the second tablet, it should be taken 12 hours after the first

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, taken plan B. Started vomiting. Will plan B still work or do I need to take another? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for the response I really apprecite it. I realized I took plan b one step and not plan b (2 pills) Does your answer still apply or shoul I buy a new one? Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

For the plan B one step, the time for maximal level in the blood after use is 1.7 hrs which is just under 2 hours, so it would have been absorbed into your blood stream before you vomited in the morning.

Feel free to ask any thing else if you like