Had unprotected sex, taken Plan B, have breast tenderness, cramping, low back ache. Anxious

Excellent

Question
I am 47 years old and have pretty much always had regular 28-30 day cycles. In the last year the cycle has differed between 23-25-28-30 day cycles. I usually know when I ovulate by the mucous show around days 12-14 of my cycle. This month however, I never noticed a definite ovulation by the mucous or any other symptoms. I had unprotected sex on the 21st day of my cycle and took Plan B One Step about 50 hours after. The information on the box says it is effective if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex. Today is day 34 of my cycle and I haven't started my period. I have breast tenderness and have had some cramping and lower backache as though my period were going to start for the last few days, but still nothing. I have read that Perimenopause can have some of the same symptoms as pregnancy, so I am wondering if this could be the case. I really can't bring myself to do a pregnancy test yet because my anxiety is so high because of my age and I have had 3 High risk pregnancies, a miscarriage at 13 weeks and a premature birth at 32 weeks with a subsequent death of my 2 day old 25 years ago. I am scared to death because of my age, risk factors, I take Lexapro and also take Lortab for 3 herniated discs in my neck. Do you think that this could be the result of stress, taking Plan B, or perimenopause, or all of the things combined? Sorry for such a long question, just trying to give all the details. Thanks for your patience!
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 59 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You had unprotected sex during the fertile period, this is based on the information provided by you. One can calculate the safe period, many online calculator are available.

As you have taken Plab B, the chances of you being pregnant is less. It can reduce the chance of pregnancy when taken as directed up to 72 hours (3 days) after unprotected sex and you have mentioned you have taken it within 50 hours and is good.

Missed period can be many reason and pregnancy is not the only thing. It may be perimenopausal symptom.

The best advice that i can give you is, rather than running from the situation it is better to face it, it will not only help you in reducing the anxiety and also will help you to take the next best step. So i advice you to go for Urine pregnancy test a week after missed period and ideally with early morning urine sample. It is better to wait at least a week after missed period as done earlier there will be chances of false negative test and if you have your periods within this period it is well and good.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, taken Plan B, have breast tenderness, cramping, low back ache. Anxious 1 hour later
Thanks for your response. You stated that I had unprotected sex during the fertile period, but I had unprotected sex on the 21st day of my cycle. I didn't think that day 21 was considered to be my fertile time. Just trying to consider all of the possibilities. My breasts were already tender the day or two after the unprotected sex, but I assumed because it was due to my period being close to starting. I wouldn't have thought that they would be hurting or tender 2 days after intercourse. The month before my period started on day 25, and the month before that on day 23. Thanks for your advice.

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 4 hours later
Hello
Good to hear from you.
I am extremely sorry. I thought your period started on 14 th, so 21 st will be fertile.
Sorry again, as it was safe period and you have already taken plan B pills, i think the chances of you being pregnant is very slim. I advice you to calm down, i think it might be a perimenopausal symptom.
Breast tenderness is seen in many women before period, so i think you may have your period in a day or so.
It will be better if you see OBG specialist if your period continues to be late.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, taken Plan B, have breast tenderness, cramping, low back ache. Anxious 12 hours later
Thank you for responding back to me and for your concern. The possibility of being pregnant at this point in my life....my 2 sons are 20 and 17, and the likelihood of having another high risk pregnancy plus the high possibility of having a child with Down's or even more severe birth defects terrified me. My husband is 61, so his age would also play a factor in having a child with Down's. I am Catholic and XXXXXXX not believe in abortion so I was at a loss for what I would do. However, I am happy to tell you that my period began tonight, so I have had a huge relief taken off of me. I guess it's possible that the symptoms and the irregularity of my cycle could be due to perimenopause. I had a yearly Gyn exam in April and at that time, my Doctor said that I WAS ovulating....my mucous was heavy and my cervix was high, so I know that I still do ovulate. He did a Pap, a pelvic ultrasound to check my ovaries and did an endometrial biopsy to check for any abnormalities because I still have such heavy periods. All was okay. I guess I am possibly heading towards perimenopause if I am not already in it. Thank you for your advice and concern. It has been helpful and appreciated! God bless!

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 5 hours later
Hello
Good to hear from you mam

It is good that your periods have started and also now you can relax, your anxiety level will reduce.

It is nice to hear that the information i provided was helpful. Thank you.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer or write your review.
Wish you good health.