Had unprotected sex, redness on tip of penis. Should I be concerned?

Question
I had unprotected intercourse with someone the day before she got her period - the tip area of my penis had redness next day /was a week ago /redness goes back /forth but seems to be subsiding overall .
what is likely cause ? should I be concerned ? use any OTC cream etc ?
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 minutes later
Sexually transmitted infections usually take at least 24 hrs to manifest.Also its accompanied by itching/rashes/eruptions etc. Its possible that there may have been some abrasions that may have caused the redness.If you had any discharge,pain,eruptions etc then infection is more likely. If the redness is subsiding,then you need not worry. If there is discharge,or any of the symptoms mentioned,then do see a doctor and get a swab test done.Possibilities are urethritis, syphilis,gonorrhea etc. You need not use anything if the redness is subsiding.
Otherwise in case of infection,you will need a course of antibiotics.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, redness on tip of penis. Should I be concerned? 21 minutes later
ok - thanks- none of symptoms you mentioned -so likely abrasion from intercourse
symptoms -only just a back/forth redness, little discomfort from irritation /redness ( rubbing on underwear etc ) .....

could vaginal PH level day before period + semen have contributed to redness/irritation ? just trying to avoid in future
and will OTC vasaline help redness subside?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 minutes later
Vaginal ph has no effect as such in this situation.Its most likely due to abrasion.Yes,vaseline will help to avoid contact with rough surfaces. Avoid intercourse for a few days.