Had unprotected sex on 5th day of periods and took ipill. Got bleeding but no periods yet. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

Hi, I had unprotected sex on 5th day of my periods and then took one IPill next day. after taking Ipill I got little bleeding after few days. I have not got my periods after that. Are there any chances of pregnancy.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

First of all, unprotected sex on 5th day of your period is very much safe and there is no chance of pregnancy if your previous cycle was regular.

Second thing, you took I-pill on next day which gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy additionally. After that, you got little bleeding due to withdrawal effect of the pill. It is quite common and normal phenomena.

However, your period may be delayed for 1 to 2 weeks from due date due to hormonal imbalance and associate mental stress. Most women present with this type of late period.

In this scenario, you have two options. These are:

1) You can wait another one week to get your period naturally. Along with, you must take balanced diet, drink more fluid/ water, avoid mental stress, keep bowel habit regular and take sound sleep. This will help to hasten your period.

2) You can take progesterone pill (like norethisterone) to induce period if your due date is already one week past. Kindly, consult with your local doctor for proper prescription.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex with regular contraception.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex on 5th day of periods and took ipill. Got bleeding but no periods yet. Pregnant? 8 hours later
My date for period was on 23rd September. I have started taken Modus tablet. Is it ok?

Do I need to do the pregnancy test.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

1) Though, your chance of pregnancy is extremely rare, you can undergo one home pregnancy test to clear doubts only.

2) Yes, you can take Modus tab (Medroxyprogesterone Acetate) to induce your period as it is already 7 days past from due date. Here, you will get a withdrawal bleeding within 7 -10 days of stopping them.

Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen