Had unprotected sex on 25th day of her cycle. Should take an i pill?

Mar 2016

I am asking this for my friend
She had an unprotected sex on 25th day of her menstrual cycle.
Does she need to take an I-Pill?
Her last period date was 2nd of july and date of intercourse is 27th of july.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 hours later

First thing, 5 days before commencement of period is very much safe in case of 28-30 days regular cycle. As per last period date (2nd July), her fertile days was 13th-20th July (approx) if previous cycle was regular. In that sense, chance of pregnancy will be negligible with unprotected sex on 27th July and she can avoid I-pill.

Secondly, if her previous cycle was irregular, then she must take I-pill (emergency contraceptive) as early as possible to avoid unwanted pregnancy. I-pill will give more than 85% protection if it is taken within 24-48 hrs. Following taking pill, a withdrawal bleeding usually appears within 7-10 days and next cycle may be delayed for 1-2 weeks due to hormonal imbalance and stress factor.

Lastly, she needs to undergo one home pregnancy test after 7 days of missed period to be sure irrespective of taking I-pill. On the basis of test result, she may contact with gynecologist for further management.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen