Had unprotected sex, negative for HIV. Is it possible to get HIV after some months of sex?

Hello Doctor ,
I had a sex with unknown female, i used safety but unfortunately female semen touches my top of my penis (forehead) it is doned on XXXXXXX 2011 .
At that time june2011 i asked her go to hiv tests its results came nonreactive .
and now february2012 i only went for hiv test it came nonreactive ,its about 7 months after i did it hiv tridot test. In between these months i dont have any sexual relation .

so is it possoble i get hiv+ in later 3 or 4 months > or what is the time perood of hiv virus ?
plz suggest me ...
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 3 hours later
I understand that you had unprotected sexual intercourse in XXXXXXX 2011. HIV tests measure the antibody levels in the patient’s blood. It usually takes some time for the antibodies to develop. This period is called the window period. The usual window period during which these tests could be negative is usually 4-12 weeks. In some cases, some patients take 6 months to develop antibodies against HIV. But since you tested negative after 7 months of unprotected sexual intercourse, you can be reassured that you are not HIV positive and have not contracted the infection.
I urge you to practice safe sexual intercourse in the future.
I hope I have cleared your doubt.
Consultant, Reproductive & Sexual Medicine
Member, International AIDS Society
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, negative for HIV. Is it possible to get HIV after some months of sex? 36 minutes later
thanq sir ,
is any chances hiv virus detects lately in the month of 8, 10 ,11 or 12 th months ? bcaz i am mentally afraid from hiv virus .
XXXXXXX 2011 1st week i asked for female partner to elisa test it gives non-reactive , at that time i dint go to hiv test.
and now feb 2012 1st week exactly 8 months now , but i did only 1 time hiv test after 7 months that it gives non-reactive.

is it ok for me clears from hiv ?
Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 4 hours later

You can be sure that you are free from HIV if you are tested negative for HIV after 8 months of the risky exposure.

Usual window period of HIV virus is about 3 months. But we recommend to test after 6 months to doubly sure to label as HIV negative.

So nothing to worry.

Kindly accept the answer if you have no more queries.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex, negative for HIV. Is it possible to get HIV after some months of sex? 19 hours later
sir one more doubt , i a useing antibiotic tablets and other mutivitamin tablets useing from 1 months for useing epididmytis , for that cause of if there any chance of hiv test comes as false ?

Answered by Dr. A. CHAKRAVARTHY 18 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

No. If HIV virus is present in your body, it cannot be tested negative after the window period.

The antibiotics and vitamin supplements do not affect the results of the HIV test.

Hope I have answered all your query. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.